24 SEYMOUR AVENUE
Designed by Aburrow and Treeby in 1903, this house was first occupied by Aubrey St. John Cook of the Indian Army. He came to South Africa in January 1900 as Staff Officer for Transport and was Secretary to the Military Compensation Commission. A fine soldier, he was mentioned in despatches, and awarded the D.S.O. Captain Cook lived here while Director of Transport for the Repatriation Department, organising the return of soldiers to their home.