BEZUIDENHOUT FARMHOUSE

Built by Voortrekker Barend Viljoen and his wife Judith in 1852 as a simple rectangle, the house became the property of their son-in-law Frederic Jacobus Bezuidenhout in 1863. The bay window was added in the 1890s, and a north wing in 1910. His son lived here until he sold the farmstead to the city for a park in 1949. During the Anglo-Boer war, the British used the farm with its grazing as a remount camp at which horses were acclimatised. 

Bezuidenhout Park, Bezuidenhout Valley
Related Organisation: 
Johannesburg Heritage Foundation (JHF)
Unveiling Date: 
Saturday, March 14, 2015