DELTA PARK HERITAGE PRECINCT

Built on farmland at the outskirts of the city, the Delta Sewerage Disposal Works operated from 1934-1963. Converted to a centre for environmental education under the direction of philanthropist Norman Bloom, the main building re-opened in 1978, and the surrounding grounds became a public park. Together, the old waterworks structures form a fine group of municipal Art Deco buildings, which includes the spectacular central block, the main entrance and gatehouses, staff houses and worker's compound.
Delta Park, Johannesburg
Related Organisation: 
City of Johannesburg