This house was designed by Baker, Masey and Sloper in 1910 for F. C. Sturrock. He came to South Africa from Scotland in 1907 and set up a mining material business. He was a town councillor in 1917 and Member of Parliament for Turffontein in 1929. He joined cabinet in 1936 and eventually became Minister of Transport in the Smuts Government.
The house was extensively altered between 1919 and 1922.