FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

Site of Union Chapel First Congregational Church in South Africa 1821

[Simon van der Stel notes: 5 Church Square is found off Parliament Street. Although placed at a good height for reading this circular plaque is composed of five pieces (made by the potter, Martin Zaalberg) and is now a faded blue (English only). In 1820 Dr John Phillip became the minister of the Congregational community in Cape Town which had originally been established in 1813 by the Reverend George Thom. This church became known as the Union Chapel and Dr Phillip lived next door.]

5 Church Square (off Parliament Street)
Related Organisation: 
Simon van der Stel Foundation