FRIEDENSKIRCHE LUTHERAN CHURCH

The Friedenskirche ("Church of Peace") dates from 1912, built to house a German congregation formed in 1888. Designed by Theodore Schaerer and built of the stone from the ridge on which it rises, the Church remains an important landmark. Its distinctive Bavarian bell-tower was familiar to the German immigrants, many of them living in Cosmopolitan Hillbrow. The site was declared a National Monument 1986. [Inscription be corrected in 2014]
30 Edith Cavell Street, Hillbrow
Related Organisation: 
City of Johannesburg