HUGH SOLOMON BUILDING
Designed by Gilbert St John Cottrill in 1904, this was the first Nurse's Home for the General Hospital where all nurses in training lived. In 1926 a new wing was added, and in 1936 a new hall and dining-hall were completed by Gordon Leith. It was named after the Chairman of the Hospital Board from 1930-1955. Dress regulations, training and deportment for the nurses were very strict. In 2006 it was refurbished, and serves as the headquarters of the Wits Reproductive and HIV Institute.
Klein Street Hillbrow
City of Johannesburg
Johannesburg Heritage Foundation (JHF)
Saturday, May 11, 2013