This was the last and largest of three steam driven power stations built in Newtown to supply electricity to Johannesburg. Constructed between 1927 and 1934, it consisted originally of a shorter Turbine Hall and a single 'North Boiler House'. The Station could not keep up with the City's demand for electricity, and so, in 1934, the 'South Boiler House' was built, and the Turbine Hall extended. However, demand still outstripped supply. In 1942, Orlando Power Station began to take over the supply of electricity to Johannesburg.

65 Ntemi Piliso Street, Newtown, Johannesburg
Related Organisation: 
Egoli Heritage Foundation