KANONKLIP (formerly Kenloch)

Designed by Gordon Leith in 1925 for Wilfred James Kennedy, this house was one of the first grand mansions on the west side of the Westcliff ridge. The careful use of local stone and imported timber mark Leith as one of Herbert Baker's most faithful proteges, as can also be seen from the proportions of the tennis pavilion at street level. Another pavilion above was Kennedy's exhibit of British Columbian timbers at the 1936 Empire Exposition. Visible from Carlow Road are the two mounted 17th century Dutch Finbanker 8 pounder cannons, dredged from Cape Town harbour in the 1930s. Feel free to send additional photographs to jamesball01@gmail.com
60 Westcliff Drive, Westcliff, Johannesburg
Related Organisation: 
Johannesburg Heritage Foundation (JHF)
Parktown and Westcliff Heritage Trust