The building is named after Sir George Manners, a director of African City Properties Trust, the company that built it in 1937. It complements Ansteys, designed by the same architects, Emley and Williamson. The smooth curves and fluid form minimise wind resistance - so important to the design of car, ships and aircraft in those days. The fluted surface adds to the sense of vertical progression. The apartment block is set back from the corner to allow maximum exposure to the sky and light. The rounded island shop was smokers' corner, the windows displaying a fine array of pipes and Havana cigars.
166 Jeppe Street, Inner City
City of Johannesburg