MARKHAM'S BUILDING

Built in 1897, the mining town's tallest building expressed confidence in the future. This premier gentlemens' outfitter symbolises the city's retail history and remains a landmark in time and place. The building was saved from demolition in 1978, thanks to a public outcry and the combined efforts of heritage organisations and the city council.

67 Pritchard Street (Corner Eloff), Inner City, Johannesburg
Related Organisation: 
Johannesburg Heritage Foundation (JHF)
Parktown and Westcliff Heritage Trust