Mary Fitzgerald Square
The square was originally a wagon site on which many strikers' meetings were held. It was named after the activist Mary Fitzgerald in 1939. A militant defender or workers’ rights, she became known as Pickhandle Mary and was a leading figure in the strikes of 1911-1914. She became organiser of the Industrial Women’s league, President of the South African Branch of the International Workers of the World, and in the early 1920s, Deputy Mayor of Johannesburg.
Throughout the 20th Century, the Square continued to be a popular meeting place for political, community, cultural and worker organisations. The tradition continues to this day.