THE NEWTOWN MARKET BUILDING

This massive steel structure built in 1913 was designed by the town engineer G.S. Burt Andrews. It was manufactured in Britain and is a fine example of industrial architecture

THE NEWTOWN MARKET BUILDING ceased to operate as a market in 1974. From 1976 it was used and redeveloped by the Africana Museum which re-opened in 1994 as MUSEUMAFRICA

Bree Street
Related Organisation: 
Simon van der Stel Foundation