NEWTOWN MARKET BUILDING

This massive steel structure, built in 1913, was designed by the town engineer G.S. Burt Andrews. It was manufactured in Britain and is a fine example of industrial architecture. The Newtown Market Building ceased to operate in 1974. From 1976 it was used and redeveloped by the Africana Museum, which reopened in 1994 a Museum Africa.

121 Bree Street, Newtown, Johannesburg
Related Organisation: 
Simon van der Stel Foundation