First opened in 1928, each Operating Theatre honoured a pioneering surgeon, namely Van Niekerk, Davies and Murray. The two-storey brick building was designed by Gordon Leith, the architect for many of the historic buildings in the Hillbrow Health Precinct. The old building was restored in 2011, and a lightweight steel structure was added to make a third floor, designed by Henry Paine Architects. Today, Shandukani combines modern maternity care and medical research together with heritage conservation.
Hillbrow Health Precinct
City of Johannesburg
Johannesburg Heritage Foundation (JHF)
Saturday, May 11, 2013