ST. ALBAN's MISSION CHURCH

Founded in 1898 to serve the local Coloured Anglican Community, a magnificent church designed by F.L.H. Flemming replaced the old wood and iron building in 1928. The forced removal of the congregation in the 1960s threatened the survival of the Church. But in 1960 the offices of the diocese were located here under Bishop Leslie Stradling, who was then followed by Bishops Timothy Bavin, Desmond Tutu and Duncan Buchanan. St. Albans served as the Diocesan offices until 1987. It remains a potent reminder of the forced removal of the Coloured people from Ferreirasdorp and Marshalltown.
Corner of Miriam Makeba Street (Pat Mbatha Busway) and Anderson Street, Ferreirastown (Inner City), Johannesburg
Related Organisation: 
City of Johannesburg