A highly visible landmark on the peak of this ridge, notable features are the house, terraced gardens and extensive view. Plans were drawn by a Scottish architect, Alexander Forest from 1928 and the house was built by J.M. Fernandez, who recruited mineworkers from Mozambique - they were probably used in the construction of the terraces in the gardens. In 1950 Julius Missak bought it and over twenty years accumulated a collection of ceramics and library of French Classics which he bequethed to the Rand Afrikaans University on his death in 1980 on condition that they established a centre for Armenian and Flemish culture. It is distinctive for its fine garden setting, clearly Madeiran in tradition, and is of a typical Portugese design. In 2005 it was sold and the house, gardens and outbuildings were completely restored.
60 Westcliff Drive, Westcliff, Johannesburg
Johannesburg Heritage Foundation (JHF)
Parktown and Westcliff Heritage Trust